It’s just 10 easy steps!
Once submitted, you will receive an email confirmation with instructions for your audition.
2. Take a look at the audition requirements here. Start discussing repertoire choices with your private instructor. If you do not have a private instructor, see step 3.
3. We strongly encourage all students who currently do NOT have a private lesson teacher to take advantage of the SSO Virtual Conservatory. This service provides virtual one-on-one lessons through Zoom with the professional musicians of the SSO, who will serve as mentors to help you prepare for your youth orchestra video audition. It is highly recommended that a student takes AT LEAST two 30-minute Zoom lessons before they record their audition. The first 30-minute lesson is FREE, and every subsequent 30-minute lesson will be $28 a lesson (you can also receive 45-minute lessons for $42 each and 60-minute lessons for $56 each).
To learn more about the SSO Virtual Conservatory, click here. If the student desires, the virtual lessons can continue with the SSO instructor, even after the auditions have taken place. This is highly encouraged.
4. For Winter 2022 Mid-Season applicants, you will need a recording device to submit your video audition with. Some students may decide to use a camcorder to record, but you do not need to use any high-tech equipment to record your audition. Simply using a phone or computer to record your audition is perfectly acceptable.
5. While recording, make sure you are in a quiet area so that you can be heard clearly. Make sure you and your instrument are entirely in the camera shot. If you are a string player, we will need to see the full bow stroke. You will want to dress appropriately, as if you were auditioning in person. The important thing is to look presentable, but still comfortable enough to play your instrument or sing. T-shirts, ripped jeans and revealing clothing are not appropriate. (Suggestions for Ladies: Nice tops, skirts or dress pants, summer dresses, dress shoes. Suggestions for Men: Button-down or polo shirts, khaki or dress pants, dress shoes).
6. Each instrumental student will need to record two videos (one video for scales, and the other for the solo piece). Children’s Chorus applicants will only need to record one video.
At the beginning of each video, please state your NAME, AGE, GRADE LEVEL AND INSTRUMENT/VOICE. Also, for instrumental students, indicate if this is your SCALES or SOLO video. For example: “Hi, my name is Sarah. I am 12 years old and I will be going into the 7th grade and I play the cello. This is my scales/solo video.” OR “Hi, my name is Ralph. I am 11 years old and I will be going into the 6th grade. I am auditioning for the Children’s Chorus.”
Once you have stated your intro, you are free to play either your scales or solo piece.
You may play your scales in any order, but they must be recorded continuously. Do NOT stop or edit space between different scales. You must record the scales one after another without edits.
7. After you are done recording your videos, upload them to your computer or tablet. We strongly suggest using either Google Drive or DropBox to upload your videos. Title each video using the following format:
SYO2020_First Name_Last Name_Scales
SYO2020_First Name_Last Name_Solo
SCC2020_First Name_Last Name
8. Once your videos are uploaded to Google Drive, DropBox, or or a private/unlisted YouTube link, please share each video file with the email address email@example.com.
Youth Orchestra Mid-Season Audition Videos (strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion) are due by Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 11:59 PM.
Children’s Chorus Audition Videos are also due by Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 11:59 PM.
Remember, instrumentalists send in 2 videos. Children’s Choir applicants send in 1 video.
9. Once your videos are received, you will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours that your videos have been received. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact the SSO Education and Operations Manager, Axl Pons, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. All Mid-Season applicants will be notified of their audition result through email by Sunday, January 9, 2022.
If accepted, please be prepared to attend your first rehearsal on Monday, January 10, 2022 at the John Legend Theater. Please be prepared for changes to the schedule.